Gandhi Institute of Technology and Management, popularly known as GITAM was founded in 1980 by an inspired group of eminent intellectuals and industrialists of Andhra Pradesh led by Dr. M.V.V.S.Murthi, Former Member of Parliament and popular philanthropist. Their mission was to set up a world-class technology and management institution in the picturesque city of Visakhapatnam to impart futuristic and comprehensive professional education of global standards with a high sense of discipline and social relevance in a serene and invigorating environment. The avowed objective of GITAM is to train qualified professionals to shoulder the responsibility of contributing to the development of India as a “Knowledge Society”.
GITAM is registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act XXXI of 1860. Its registered office is situated at Visakhapatnam in the State of Andhra Pradesh. It is governed by a Governing Body consisting of eminent educationists, industrialists, professionals, experts, etc.
The successful saga of GITAM started with the establishment of a College of Engineering in 1980 offering a few undergraduate engineering programmes. Responding to the expanding needs in the fields of technology, management and pharmacy, a number of colleges and courses have been added to GITAM viz., College of Management Studies (1988), College of Pharmacy (2006) and GITAM Institute of Science (2007). All these institutions were established by creating necessary infrastructural facilities in the same campus spread over 100 acres of land. Separate buildings were provided for each institution following the AICTE as well as UGC norms. Over the years, GITAM has earned a high reputation as a premier institute of higher learning and its name has almost become a well-recognized “brand name” for quality education in UG, PG and research programmes in Engineering, Management, Science and Pharmacy disciplines not only in Andhra Pradesh but also in other States and abroad.
GITAM, with its main campus at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, is a Deemed University recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 in August 2007. After becoming a Deemed University, GITAM has launched many new and innovative UG and PG programmes as well as M.Phil and Ph.D programmes. Today GITAM comprises four constituent institutions viz., (1). Institute of Technology (2) Institute of Management (3) Institute of Science, and (4) Institute of Pharmacy. Recently, the Institution has started an Off-campus at Hyderabad with the approval of UGC which offers four year B.Tech, two year MBA and three year MCA programmes with effect from the academic year 2009-10.
GITAM is a multi-disciplinary Institution offering varied courses in emerging areas that bear a direct relationship to economic growth and development of the society. Most of the programmes constitute a balanced blend of the conventional courses and career oriented options, although in recent years the tilt is towards introduction of more career oriented options. The curriculum design takes into account the thrust on national development. Interactions within the Institution and with industries have been organized in the past and as a result, new programmes have been launched by the Institution. Courses promoting skills development and value orientation are also offered by the Institution and avenues for experimental learning are being attended. Computer skills have been incorporated as an integral part of the curriculum in many of the programmes offered by the Institution. Issues related to women and other socially disadvantaged groups find a place in post graduate programmes in management and other disciplines.
Significance of the logo
- GITAM is accredited and accorded ‘A+’ Grade by NAAC in 2017.
- The emblem underlines the basic philosophy reflecting the vision and mission of the Institution.
- The three cardinal principles of the Institution – strive, serve, thrive – encapsulate the quintessence of human life, that is, it is only through striving for the purpose of serving that one can thrive well in life.
- The kindling light with its bright rays represents the Institution and its many faculties of study spreading the entire universe. The light of knowledge is pure and can kindle million more lights, thus spreading the effulgence beyond horizons, dispelling the darkness of ignorance in the entire globe.
- The unfathomable sea stands for the ocean of knowledge. The ocean represents the vast region of knowledge which the Institution strives to help all those who wish to master it.
- The dolphins reflect friendliness, intelligence and unity. We are marching forward with the firm determination to remain at the forefront among top centers of learning, teaching and research.